Friday, November 04, 2005

Two of UsTwo of us riding nowhere Spending someone’s hard earned pay,
You and me Sunday driving, Not arriving on our way back home.
We’re on our way home,
We’re on our way home,
We’re going home.
You and I have memoriesLonger than the road that stretches out ahead.
Two of us sending postcards Writing letters on my wall.
You and me burning matches, Lifting latches on our way back home.
We’re on our way home,
We’re on our way home,
We’re going home.
Two of us wearing raincoats Standing solo in the sun.
You and me chasing paper, Getting nowhere on our way back home.
We’re on our way home,
We’re on our way home,
We’re on our way home.

When I hear this song I think of all the times I spent with my dad when I was a little boy. we used to go all over the place. I never knew where we were going or what for, I just knew I liked hanging with my dad. These were the memories I have chosen to hold on to about my dad.
When Mr. Bebout was being prepared, I was forced to revisit my own childhood and my relationship with my dad. When I do I come abck to this song andthe imagary it provokes in my mind and I can't help but think how much I want my son to have similar memories of me.

9 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

My problem with this song is that I like the Aimee Mann version better. In fact I like the cover versions of most songs better than the original.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Stacy Cane said...

Quantity time is quality time. It is those days of just hanging out and doing nothing in particular that mean so much with children.

6:28 AM  
Blogger Mr. Bebout said...

I had more to write on that post, but as I am at work, they expect me to do work. But thank you for your kind and reflective words.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Even six days later this post is still awesome! Two thumbs up!

11:24 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Thumbs up to that, K-dog!

11:38 AM  
Blogger Tam said...

You are loyal and faithful not only to Sharon, but also your profile picture. Two thumbs up...and if you want a new pic, I have many a Dave in compromising posistions.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bebout said...

You are sweet to say so K-dog (A-hem).
And a Tam, as far as compromising situations and photos of go, leve us not to forget your Catholic school girl halloween costume from the early aughts. If you need more information ask K-dog as I would hate to impune the reputation of such a kind and giving person like you in this public forum

8:48 AM  
Blogger Tam said...

yea, yea, we all know about my hoo hoo shots. Big woop! Your hoo hoo shots are much funnier.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Mr. Bebout said...

I do not have a "hoo hoo" I have a doo da like evry other man. And it is not funny.

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home