Wednesday, September 21, 2005

How Sad

As I mentioned in my first post, I work with a gaggle of 23 year old Republican women. The sad part is, beyond them being Republican, is that they don't even understand what the core values of the party are, especially when concerning the social/religious platform.

For example....

The blonde on was a gasp because of some way too far right wing extreme "Christian" woman who sponsors the web sites god hates fags and god hates America. I have never checked these site myself, but have heard her gas several times on morning drive radio. Her main idea, as I see it, is based on a very literal interpretation of the bible mixed with some out of your mind kidding me ideas of her own. I guess she has mustered up about 100 other like minded people and they all meet and rail against others and continually remind them that they are going to hell. Everyone is going to hell for any number of reasons that most run of the mill Americans and Christians would not actually consider as damnable actions.

So, here is the sad part. The blonde did not know that, although drastic and even farther to the right, the god hates woman's message is frighteningly close the President's. She also tried to argue that religion had no place in American government because, " we have separations and stuff". She also thought I was out of line for blending religion and politics and how dare I . I said I have a degree in Poli Sci and therefore I was signed off on multi layered political discussions.

And in closing and summation, how can people be so convinced of a belief, such as political affiliation, without knowing the core values of what you are becoming affiliated with? I used to get upset with my fellow citizens for note voting. But maybe it is better to have the uninformed uninvolved?

2 Comments:

Blogger Stacy Cane said...

To address you last point first, it IS better to have the uninformed uninvolved. You don't want them diluting your vote.

To address your main point: many people subscribe to a set of beliefs, rather than thinking for themselves, because it is easier to become a true believer in something that seems appealing than actually thinking critically for themselves and reaching their own independent conclusions. That is why I am weary of anyone who is a dyed-in-the-wool ANYTHING.

Secondly, many people don't have the strength to not associate themselves with some sort of group. They need to "belong." And once in, it is easier to tow the party line, and thinking critically is discouraged, especially if you reach a different conclusion. Whether you are talking a political party, or a special interest group, there are usually certain positions which are "accepted" and if you are a member you are expectted to simply agree with those positions. Dissent is not welcome. This is true not just on the right, but on the left, and anywhere in between.

So is it a surprise that they don't fully understand their "beliefs" and the values that go with them? No. Because they did it as a substitute for any critical thinking or analysis on their part. And they probably do it out of a sense of belonging.

Now, there are also good reasons to be a part of a group -- but I won't go into that here.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Well I never read up on what the Democrats stood for before I voted the first ime. I just knew my dad was a democrat, Clinton was a democrat and therefore I was a democrat. Even now the only reason I know I'm more liberal leaning is because I usually agree with the democrats on tv than the republicans or even worse independents or Libertarians. Make a choice people, one that counts.

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home