Friday, November 04, 2005

Strange Days Indeed

I read Readers Digest and have for years. My mother gave Mrs. Bebout a subscription and since it comes to the house I read it. So big whoop wanna fight about it?

Anyway, Readers Digest is conservative magazine and always has been. They have had pieces about how smart GWB is and how honest the Dick is. Or something like that. The point is it is and always has been conservative. That asshole with the bow tie wrote a column for them about how outrageous liberal were for trying to get poor people off welfare and back into productive society. This type of con BS.

So imagine my astonishment when I opened to an article about the ills of the three strike policy fathered by the tough on crime republicans. They made an argument based on now 50 years to life seemed a bit aggressive for stealing $68.75 worth of K-Mart video tapes and how most the people in prison are there because of drugs and not crime. And that the three strikes are racially biased against minorities, especially black people.

I nearly fell off the pot. I could not believe that this argument, which also touted David Souter as a sensible and well thought of jurist.

Becuase I am am skeptical I think this is a bait and switch tactic thought up by Rove and Wolffy in some backroom to offput the liberal defense. Either that or the conservatives are jumping ship now before the SS Bush sinks to the briney deep like the rats they are.

6 Comments:

Blogger jessafran said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Mr. Bebout said...

I will not suffer people being rude to my friends, espically from people who are themselves assholes.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Mr. Bebout said...

There is no deterant that works on the "criminal" mind. People who don't committ crimes are scared of jail. People who do, are not scared, as evidenced by their actions.
On an aside, the article in RD, said that California will spend some $6 billion on these 3 strike people to lock them up.

And Brian, I have always got your back. If you are ever assulted and I am around, I will rush to your aide evan at my own peril.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bebout said...

I am always conflicted about death as punishment. On one hand I believe some people will always be "bad" and sometimes we need to thin the herd. But also, the death penalty is proven not to be a deterant to other criminals. This is obvious b/c people continue to committ the same death penalty level crimes, knowing it is a possibilty.

1:37 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

I want to know what the secret message was!

2:10 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bebout said...

Someone said something that I thought was rude. In an effort to save this person from looking like an ass, I deleted their comment.
It is more like than not that I am being overly concerned, but I don't like for people to say mean things about people when they are not involved. Save public figures who deserve what they get. Like that asshole in the bow tie form Crossfire

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home