Monday, February 27, 2006

Applied to Rejection

I have been what some might call a drinker for more than half my life. I have been good and drunk countless times. For years and years, I would not attempt to drive drunk. And in recent years I have always felt guilty of doing it.
I have heard people say not to drive drunk. I could not figure out how to get drunk somewhere and make it home. It never occurred to me not to get drunk.
I am not one to drink alone, and I don't crave booze, and I have never been one to drink everyday. I have on occasion had a drink with dinner or one after work. Mostly though, once I start I have to finish in a drunken mess.
It is quite a thing to think about not drinking. Drinking is my social activity. It is what I do with my friends or at special occasions. The problem I have is that all too often it is what I do to excess.
I don't know if can say that I will not drink anymore ever. I have never really tried not to drink. I mean it is just something I do, like eating chipped chop ham or driving too fast or any numer of things that make up me. I am a drinker.
But when is booze applied to rejection so many times that I have know that I am not a good drinker. I am not responsible as a drinker.
So for right now maybe I get on the wagon( or off as the case may be, I can never keep which one is dry and which wet) until I can handle my shit. Maybe I can have tomato juice at parties and sit quietly in the corner. I mean "I was drunk" covers a lot of the asshole comments I have made. Minus some High Life I have nothing but me to blame for being rude.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

I myself refuse to drink if I can't get blotto. What's the fun in one or two cocktails and then a headache? But there is too much in my personality that makes drinking too easy, and a nice escape that I know down the line there may be an issue if I don't watch it.

I think a break is good for you if for nothing else than if you ever call me again, drunk while driving, I'm calling the cops on your ass.

4:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am glad to hear it. I never understood why one would want to drink to sloppy drunkness. Sure cocktails taste good and being tipsy is fun but all out drunkness does not feel good. What about the spins, the vomit and the next day recovery? And it only gets more difficult the older you get. We abuse our bodies enough with our poor eating and sedentary lifestyle. Plus now we have a beautiful son who will want to emulate everything we do. It's not cool to breath liquored up drunk breath in his face.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Christie said...

I also had the realization that I only drank myself into a stupor. So, I quit for awhile. Now, I can have one or two. Sometimes, though, I drink too much. Get sick. And feel poopy the next day. That makes me remember how good I feel when I don't do that. At first, it is irritating to be around the drunks when you are sober. Then, you embrace it and can tell everyone what an ass they were the next day. :)

9:34 AM  
Blogger gomezfive said...

yeah, well i for one resent not being offered the choice to limit my drinking. that decision was dictated to me by an unforgiving god/being/force/creator/branch manager. i currently wish i could be chain-smoking, binge-drinking, and thrill-seeking...much like nick cage in leaving las vegas. if i got stuck with a bum ticker, why not go out in a blaze of glory...well, minus the jon bon jovi imagery, but you know what i mean.

i gotta stay free of all my precious, precious vices...or die. after 3 weeks withdrawal of any chemical not expensively prescribed, i'm of the opinion that the scales are equally balanced. i could go either way here.

well, i'm off to find a firing range/cigar club with a full bar that caters to bungee afficionados.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bebout said...

Perhaps a hobby is what I need to take up my evening hours. A hobby I can with a group.
Perhaps we should all look into D&D or some other roel playijng game where we can pretend to be wizards and what not.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Dave, what happened to the boy band idea? O Face is a group I would buy an album from and have been waiting for their single for years.

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home