Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Further Reflections

Well I can look forward to telling people they were asses. That should get me by for a while.
I think the odd thing is that we all, except for Mrs. Bebout, and maybe Aliasgrace get all corned, or have gotten all corned a lot.
What does this say about us? Perhaps we should study other social groups and their drinking habits to determine is we are too drunk or not.

I think drinking as self medication id done a lot. If it done on purpose is another question. Perhaps if you are drinking to ease your pains and you know that is why you are drinking, perhaps help should be sought.
I have mostly been of the opinion that I am alright. In fact I am fond of myself and think I have a keen grasp on things. I have drank after a stressful day, oh yes I have. But I am one to drink for the fun of it.
I think, and this may be an excuse, I am guzzler. I do sip anything. I will wait for coffee to cool down so I can gulp it back and move on to another cup. I do the same with food. I throw it back as soon as it hits the plate and don't stop until the plate is empty.
Perhaps I have issue with portion control and ingestion rate. I mean I am older now and am no longer unaffected by the after effects of a bender. To the point that I don't care for it at all.
This is quite an adventure I have started on. I hope it turns out well.
I think the hardest part of questioning my relationship with booze is that the alternative to drinking too much is not drinking at all, or least the AA says so. I don't think I want to not have a drink. I don't know how that works. It sounds horrible not to have drink at all ever.
Can't I learn moderation? Am I incapable of self control? I think the idea of saying I will never drink again and knowing that I would makes me not want to try not to. I don't want the stress of failing. If I never try not to, then I can't fail. It worked for smoking. I loved to smoke. I LOVED IT> But I hated hacking up lung burgers and all sorts of things enough so the I tried to not have a smoke, with the idea that if I really wanted one, I would have one. It has now been over 5 years without a puff.
But for me that has been easy. I still have thoughts and cravings, but nothing too severe. Smoking was a personal thing. I smoked alone. I smoked for myself and quit for myself.
I am still evolved with my social group without smoking. But how can you do this and not drink? Why would you want to? Is the alternative to moderation hanging out with the door-to-door Christians? I mean the culture of drinking is my culture. How can be me and not want to drink Guinness on St. Pat's? What fun is tailgating without cheap canned beer? How can I interact at work functions without vodka on the rocks?
So maybe the answer is I need to get shit in order and find a balance.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moderation is the key although perhaps easier said than done. Become a sipper, decide ahead of time to only have 3 drinks. I know from experience it is difficult to hang out with friends and not have a drink. Aw snap! ctm

I like to drink. I don't like to be drunk. I even miss having the occasional cocktail. I especially missed beer when I was pregnant. But until I am finished with this whole nursing thing it's just not worth it. I will of course support you in your endeavors

2:48 PM  
Blogger Stacy Cane said...

I had a moment of realization, it was in early 2004, that if I didn't reduce my drinking, I would have to stop altogether. And I didn't want to never be able to enjoy a drink again, so I cut back.

Since spring of '04, I have drunk myself ill only once that I can think of. Granted, I think you saw it, and it was at a party at my old place in Cleveland Heights. That's not to say I haven't been tipsy or somewhat impaired, but I have not been out-of-control drunk in some time. And given how bad it can feel to recover from that, and the stupid things I'd do during it, I don't miss it.

All things considered, the drinking is merely incidental and secondary to the company of good friends. The ritual of going to a bar is fun, but it could as easily be hanging out at a coffee shop or pizza parlor.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

I'm interested to see where this takes you. I hope you can cut back without having to cut out. If only one could do that with cigarettes...*sigh*

9:30 AM  
Blogger Professor Bacher said...

Dave;
I have disliked your attitude when you are drunk; I have disliked your attitude when you are sober; You have said hurtful things to me when you are drunk; and hurtful things to me when you are sober; I have taken to heart things you have said that were not intended to be hurtful when you are drunk; and taken to heart things you have said that were not intended to be hurtful when you were sober.

I usually, eventually...suck it up, drink it down and everything feels better.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bebout said...

So for all the times you have accused me of not liking you, it was you who does not like me. Well, more's the pity for you because I am a great person. I admit that I can be sharp with comments, but I don't recal ever being hurtfull to you in intent or by any other explanation than your own low self esteem.
By the way, James, that was intended not to be nice, as I am sure your comments was also.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Stacy Cane said...

Gentlemen, it need not be as stark as either of you have stated.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Professor Bacher said...

Dave, my comments were actually meant to be funny. I guess I missed that mark. My point was that I had problems with you when you were drinking and problems with you when you were not. I took things too seriously when I was drinking and when I was not. The point is that alcohol is not what made it evil...it was all in my head.

I like and respect you dave, and I do look forward to our conversations you have become a very good friend.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bebout said...

Well as long as it was all in your head and can continue to slip past scott free...

3:10 PM  
Blogger Curt said...

What I have to say is you are not an addict. Drunk maybe, ok yes! I know a few addicts and they could not help themselves, really. They only cared about themselves at the time, really. You can not tell me that you would not moderate for Sharon and little Dave if it really came down to it. When it really comes down to it you know you do not need booze to fill the void. But damn it really tastes good don’t it! And yes it’s GOOD TIMES. So don’t feel guilty for those guilty pleasures unless the shit starts falling apart and you start drinking you breakfast. If you drink like us you will have the “regrets.” Just learn to control who you are around when you guzzle cuz that’s the shit you regret. No drunk learning experience stories here from me, no need. I’d be preach’en to the choir.

5:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home