Sunday, March 19, 2006

Moving On Up

Since I graduated high school in 1991, including trips to college dorms, I have moved 15 times. That comes out to once a year, but there were a few moves in quick order that have benefited me greatly.

The 16th move is coming in the very near future. This one will be the last for quite some time, 5 to 7 years if all goes well. Mrs. Bebout, the Younger, Beau Bridges and I are moving to our very own house. I won't put the location down as I don't want you all to know where I live.

There are mixed emotions about buying a house. It is fuck load of money let me tell you that. Also, you have to take care of. So far, if the yard looks like ass, I just blame it on the landlord. Now I have to blame Mrs, Bebout and we all know that she is not one to do yard work so that leaves the Younger. As he can't move too much on his own power for right now I doubt none but the dimmest of you will believe that it was his job to cut the grass and pick up dog shit.

So now I have to be the yard work guy. I have to cut the grass after work on Tuesdays and pick up sticks and whatever else comes along. I already pick up the poop, mostly. (In my opinion if you choose to cut grass professionally, stepping in dog poop becomes an everyday risk and not a tragedy)

There are more ups to this though. No more people living upstairs who flush the crapper while I am in the shower so as to ruin every morning. No more unauthorized trash in my can to take to the curb or leave to stink. No more mystery disappearance of lady things from the laundry room. No more 3 AM dice games in the apartment below. No more regulation about cooking outside the kitchen. No more strangers in the back hall asking about Steve. No more smell of curry from down the hall.

But the best part is that for the first time in a long long time, I have a place that I can call home. I have had some nice apartments and they have been OK for a year or so, and I stayed back at my mom's for a time or two as situations forced, but I have never felt at home.

Our new house , we picked out. We saw it and felt like it was right for us. I can my son growing up there and bounding around the yard with Beau Bridges. I can see friends and family over for summer parties in the backyard with grilled meat and canned beer and pasta salad. I can me putting campaign signs in the yard. I can see Christmas Trees and Easter Egg Hunts at my house.

12 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

I'm speechless...

10:28 AM  
Blogger Stacy Cane said...

Well, you do get a different list of problems that come with homeownership, but all in all, I'd rather have those problems than deal with the landlord.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Stacy Cane said...

And... congratulations!

(I am looking for a lawn mower now myself, ugh.)

1:01 PM  
Blogger Christie said...

I said Congrats on Mrs. Bebout's blog, but I don't want you to feel left out.

Congratulations!!

3:33 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bebout said...

Thak you all for your well wishes. Kristen, that was not a well wish at all so ... anyways.
Brian, yeah, do you think you help us move. I know we didn't help you but so what. If you help us, we will help you on your next move. Honest.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bebout said...

Thak you all for your well wishes. Kristen, that was not a well wish at all so ... anyways.
Brian, yeah, do you think you help us move. I know we didn't help you but so what. If you help us, we will help you on your next move. Honest.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

What I got to well wish your ass for? I'm the one whose going to have to be there at 8 am to move shit. Of course since Sharon is of the school of women who don't feel they have to move anything, I am always happy to help you guys move over a more feministly progressive couple. I think the last time I carried out two boxes and ate some chicken. Of course you know your workhorse Ray will have to be careful about how much he does. with your back and Ray's heart, god knows how you're going to get it all. I hope Lawrence is feeling strong. I have invested in some nice sports bras though so I should be more appropriately clad this time.

4:47 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Sharon, this would be a good time to fake a pregnancy. You could just say you had your dates mixed up to cover the lack of a baby in nine months.

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has someone who owns a house good luck buddy we are thinking about putting ours up on the market. Condo living here I come. PS Anybody want a house in Akron?

10:57 AM  
Blogger Stacy Cane said...

Even if you hire movers, there may be a few things you want to move yourself. Either way, I'm happy to help out if I can.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Mr. Bebout said...

As Kristen pointed out, I am not as able as I once was to move heavy objects all day. For some this may seem a blessing. For a macho type guy like me, it is difficult not to over do and then suffer low back pain for a week or two or more.
I am often taken aback at how good our friends are, to the point of being ashamed at how good I am not.
You are all welcome to help us move what well packed odds and ends the movers are to club fisted to be trusted with and too heavy for me to carry. And in payment, we will provide some grilled chicken from the in-laws and perhaps a lick from Beau Bridges.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

This chicken licking talk sounds kind of dirty...

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home