Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Hammy Hammy Hammy

I recall a time in my youth, at the Maple Festival in Chardon, where a man on a PA would call out, "HAM, HAM, HAM." The cry went out hour after hour enticing passers by to stop and get a ham sandwich. Imagine my disappointment when I stepped up to place order, a small boy brought in close with the promise of ham and then finding out that it was not chip chopped ham.

I have always liked chip chopped ham with Kraft singles and Miracle Whip on white bread. If it comes with a side of Frito's I would grin from ear to ear. I think it is one of the best comfort foods ever. It is salty and tangy and the favor is just so incredibly simple.

To this day, when I get special moments alone, I like to eat them with my shirt off, laid out on the couch. As I have aged I have included a plate in the mix but for years I would eat them straight off the arm of the couch and leave crumbs on the sofa and on my tummy.

I am off to get a hair cut.

10 Comments:

Blogger Stacy Cane said...

I do not usually eat Miracle Whip, but a chip chopped ham sammy would be the single exception.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Gina Ventre said...

What is chip chopped ham? I like the idea of a ham sammy with Kraft singles but what makes it chip chopped?

8:09 AM  
Blogger Mr. Bebout said...

It is also refered to as shaved, but that, to my ear, sounds a touch upitty.
I have heard of people putting barbaque sauce on a chip chopped ham sandwich, but I have never wanted to ruin my ham time with a maybe. Mayo is gross by and large, and mustard sounds like a poor choice.

Also, I am not a fan of sammy for the same reason I don't like shaved. I mean no offence, it's just how I roll.

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't chip chopped ham the ham that looks like a mosaic b/c it's all different bits of pork squeezed together into a square?

The chip chopped ham with Kraft singles and Miracle Whip on white bread was my all time childhood favorite. Although I think I used a plate most of the time.

My sister preferred bologna and Kraft singles with ketchup on white bread.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Oh god, I feel naseaus. I also don't understand how the same person who waxes pretentiously about cuban ham can also enjoy chip chop ham (ahemBrennanahem).

3:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

With your shirt off? I too am naseated by the imagined taste. Chip chopped and Miracle Whip ugh! The only thing saving this sammy is the white bread and Kraft single. Love you baby but wow not good stuff.

You got a haircut? Where was I?

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As we all know I am the world's pickiest eater. I was much worse as a child. My mother packed my munch everyday of my life for 12 years, and she was limited to 3 things I would eat. Peanut butter & jelly, hard salami on italian with yellow mustard, or...chip chopped ham on white with miracle whip! That was my favorite. I don't really want to know why it looks like that Anne, don't ruin one of the few things I will eat!!!

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

she packed my lunch. I don't really know what a munch is...

8:37 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bebout said...

You are all just jealous of me and my comfort with my comfort. Chip Chopped ham is a fine thing and if you don't like then good. Now there will be plenty for me.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Stacy Cane said...

chip chopped is not only the way the ham is sliced, but it is usually a lower grade of ham in the first place. I remember sometimes having bits of ham that were too tough to bite through or chew. Of course it isn't always like that.

Isaly's used to serve chip chopped ham with their own BBQ sauce. We had Isaly's in Youngstown. And while BBQ sauce can be good on ham, it was not my preferred condiment for a chip chopped ham sandwich.

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home