Wednesday, January 11, 2006

33 and Rising

I am now 33 and a day. I had a good time on my birthday. I invited slew of folks out for a toddy, and one showed up even though he was swamped at work. We proceeded to enjoy too many beers and the smell of the sewer that wafted up every so often. The bar owner tried to help the smell with incense, but then it was the smell of sewer and flowers. It was awful, and there were other places to go, but we stayed.
Had we moved along to fresher surrounding, there would be no gripe to make, so it is better that we stayed put.
Today at work was not so fun though. When I was younger I could swill brews for hours into the night and still pop up in the morning fresh as a flower. Now, not so much. I am still, these many hours past, not feeling great. I tell myself that it is not age but a lack of practice that has slower my recovery. But I know that is only partly true. I am not bitter or overly affected by my age, or the passing of years, but is it so much to ask that I still be able drink buckets of draft beer without having to pay for the next day?
On a note more in keeping with my disdain for the bureaucracy that is the Ohio BMV, I will proceed with the telling of my plate renewal.
I received a notice to have my truck e-checked. I thought it odd having only just e-checked the truck 13 months prior, and knowing that the e-check is done every two years. I called the e-check help line and was told that I did not require an e-check and to have a nice day.
With this information I went off to the BMV office on my ay to work, where it took the clerk 30 minutes to tell me the computer network was down and she could not help at that time.
It took 30 minutes because, honestly I have no idea why it took 30 minutes.

**** I try to become a kinder, gentler, Dave on my birthday and left the BMV with my temper in check, although h I was well aware of it.

Toward the end of the day I called the BMV to ensure the network was up and running and went out to renew my plates. Upon arrival I was informed that my e-check was not valid and I would need to have it done before renewing my plates.

*** At this point I decided to put my kinder self on hold and proceeded to Gave the poor clerk the business.

I offered the staff, who came to help the embattled clerk, my opinion of their communication with the e-check people. This got me nowhere so I moved to the Socratic method. I asked how the how often a car was to be e-checked and was told 2 years. I then asked why I my truck was so special to need an e-check every year. The answer is that although we only need e-check every other year, the e-check is only valid for 365 days. I was now 30 days (+ -) past due.

So I saw my efforts would avail me not and decided to go ahead with my driver's license renewal, since I was there. A bit of advice, don't have you ID photo taken while fuming over the policies of the BMV. You will end up looking like a convict.

So today, I went to the e-check location prepared to pay my $19.50 and repeat the process. I arrived, the "dude" checks my VIN and scans a doodad and that was it. No more tail pipe revving and what not, Just a simple scan, much like a grocery store checkout. It still took a good 10 minutes for reason, at any rate.
The "lady" then gave me the new e-check documents and I was on my way. Without paying. Is the e-check free now days? If so, shit can the whole thing.

9 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

I like how you try to pretend you gave anyone advanced notice you wanted to hang out for your birthday.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Christie said...

Happy Birthday, Dave!

I would have gone out with you on your birthday.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bebout said...

I did not try to imply I gave advanced notice. I was just surprised how lame you all are. You should be ashamed that two of the eldest in our group were the only ones to celebrate me.

Perhaps we coudl all try again in the near future to celebrate me, but not at Reverb. It smells and the oder sticks to you clothes.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Stacy Cane said...

At first I thought the bartender had gas.

And I think e-check is free now. Well, not free, but that the State of Ohio decided to piss away our proceeds from the tobacco litigation by picking up e-check.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bebout said...

I think because we are down to 8 counties with e-check they felt a tinge of guilt for screwing so few of us, that they made it free to the few people who are forced to get it.

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It must be a 2006 thing because I had to pay for my e-check in September.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Mr. Bebout said...

Lucky me.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Tam said...

i celebrated you silently in the bathroom. It was magical.

Happy Birthday.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Mr. Bebout said...

I don't know aht that means but I feel as though I should wash my hands anyway.

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home